Thread: Unity - the underlying shadow is gone and I can't right-click on the desktop!

Beans

SOLVED -Unity - the underlying shadow is gone and I can't right-click on the desktop!

Hello all,

I'm having two very specific problems since I installed the Elementary PPA onto my Ubuntu 12.04 install:

1. the border shadow from the menu bar is gone. How can I get it back?
    2. I can't right-click on the desktop anymore... weird.

Does anyone know how to get this back?

For the record, I uninstalled pantheon, reinstalled ubuntu-desktop and compiz, to no avail.

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by the8thstar; February 3rd, 2013 at 04:57 PM.
    Desktop : iMac 21.5" (2011) Core i5 Sandy Bridge - AMD Radeon HD 6750M - 8Gb RAM - OS X 10.8.3 Mountain Lion
    Laptop : EasyNote TS 44HR (2012) - Core i3 Sandy Bridge - Intel HD3000 - 4Gb RAM - elementary OS 0.2 + Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Unity - the underlying shadow is gone and I can't right-click on the desktop!

Are you sure that you are still using Unity and not Unity2d? You could logout and make sure that you select Ubuntu as your login session.

Hope that helps.

Beans

Re: Unity - the underlying shadow is gone and I can't right-click on the desktop!

Quote Originally Posted by kostkon View Post
    Are you sure that you are still using Unity and not Unity2d? You could logout and make sure that you select Ubuntu as your login session.

Hope that helps.
    Thanks, I did that but it didn't help. I am indeed running the regular Unity session; I'm afraid Elementary configuration borked my system, but I can't seem to see where and how to fix it.

Maybe with dconf-editor?

Here is a snapshot of the top of my desktop. The "Ubuntu Desktop" title is gone and so is the shadow.

Desktop : iMac 21.5" (2011) Core i5 Sandy Bridge - AMD Radeon HD 6750M - 8Gb RAM - OS X 10.8.3 Mountain Lion
    Laptop : EasyNote TS 44HR (2012) - Core i3 Sandy Bridge - Intel HD3000 - 4Gb RAM - elementary OS 0.2 + Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Beans

I also used:

unity --reset
    unity --replace
    but the problem remains.

Beans

I wanted to make sure Unity was indeed supported so I launched:

the8thstar@Packard-Bell:~$ /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p
    OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Mobile
    OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 8.0.4

Not software rendered: yes
    Not blacklisted: yes
    GLX fbconfig: yes
    GLX texture from pixmap: yes
    GL npot or rect textures: yes
    GL vertex program: yes
    GL fragment program: yes
    GL vertex buffer object: yes
    GL framebuffer object: yes
    GL version is 1.4+: yes

Unity 3D supported: yes
    So... I'm still puzzled!

Beans

I found a solution that fixed the problem, by reinstalling a pure Unity Gnome on Ubuntu.

You can use the same solution here: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/pureubuntuprecise

Thanks Psychocats!